Sunday, February 16, 2014

Adding length

Buying pants for my kids is extremely difficult.  They are too tall for their waist or they're too thin for their hight. BUT as the saying goes ... you can never be too young, too thin or too rich. We try to buy leggings or skinny jeans. Even if they are too short we can pass them off has capris or those flood pants. Mak had to have these bell bottoms with bedazzled pockets. As usual they are too shorts. I remember seeing on pinterest someone taking lace and lengthening short shorts or cutting slits on the sides of shorts then putting lace between the slit to add width. So I just took ribbon and sewed it to the bottom of the pants. It added about an inch to 2.
I hand stitched the ribbon because I never have luck with my sewing machine going through denim hems. Everyone should know how to hand stitch. With jeans you need a thick needle that has a pokey tip. NOT a quilting needle because those aren't very pokey.  These took me 2 episodes of Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman, but I made lunch, put in a load of laundry & put a kid to sleep so I'd say maybe 45 min was actual stitching. 
I hope this saves some jeans for you! Ribbon and 45 minutes is cheaper than buying your kids pants every 3 months. Plus when we find pants that actually fit the waist then those we need to buy!

No comments:

Post a Comment