Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Creamy Tomato Soup

This is a really good soup! I made it too thick and I know where I went wrong.  
What you need 2 cans of tomatoes (I used petite diced tomatoes)
                         4 cups chicken broth
                         1 cup carrots
                         1 cup celery
                         1 cup onions
                         basil (I put in about 1/4 cup fresh basil)
                         oregano (I did 3-4 shakes)
                         bay leaf
                         1/2 cup butter (I think this is too much)
                         1/2 flour (I think this is too much)
                          1 cup parm cheese
                         2 cups half and half
                         salt and pepper to taste
What you need to do is put the first 8 items in either a crock pot for 6 hours on low OR in a pot and simmer until veggies are tender.  Once it's all tender, melt the butter in another pot and add the flour.  Like you're going to make a gravy.  The reason why I say this is too much is because you will add about 1 cup of your HOT soup to this and it will INSTANTLY become thick.  My advice would be less butter/flour mixture OR don't put in that initial 1 cup to the mixture and just dump the entire soup in there and simmer to get it a little thick.  Then you add the half and half and the parm cheese. I do not buy butter with salt anymore and I bought fat free half and half ... I can't even tell! SO Bubba didn't like it AT ALL and Big Mak just got seconds.  It's a really good soup I just wish I didn't put that initial cup of hot soup into the butter/flour mixture.  That's why mine is so thick!
Where I got the recipe -
http://utah.todaysmama.com/2012/03/20/tomato-basil-parmesan-soup-in-the-slow-cooker-or-on-the-stove-top/                      
I did the crock pot version

The flour/butter mixture

Everything poured in lastly the parm

The "Cooker" serious

The "Cooker" smiling




No comments:

Post a Comment