Sunday, April 15, 2012

Running

How many running pins I have seen this week? A LOT! I don't know if it's because I was working towards the Austin 10/20 or what.  So today was game day! Today was THE day! The Austin 10/20!!! So my photographer I brought (my husband) FAILED! But I took pictures with some friends and hopefully will be getting those soon. 
So we start.  I was in the 10 minute mile group. We were OFF! I'm running! 1 mile BOOM! 2 mile BOOM! 3 mile BOOM! 4 mile BOOM! 5 miles BOOM! THEN I get caught in the water station mayhem.  It was a mad crazy 5 seconds that MESSED UP MY GROOVE! So the rest of mile 5 I'm trying to get my groove back.  I see my kids and the hubs right before mile 6.  Gave me energy! Bubba eating MY apple! The girls going "GO MOMMY! GO MOMMY!" 
On my packet it said it was a FLAT course ... flat for the first 5 miles.  Mile 6 was a hill and not your oh cute lets get to the top.  It was a freaking HILL.  Push through.  I'm trekking along. Mile 7 I see my mentor. WOOT WOOT! I'm hurtin', that water break SERIOUSLY messed me up and the hills keep coming.  I see the mile 8.  UGH! Only an Army PT test run left.  That's what I was thinking.  I can do 2 miles in my SLEEP. Is what I was thinking.  I SEE the finish line ... but wait a minute my lane is turning.  WHAT? We are turning INTO the outdoor mall? Why are we doing this.  I'm going.  Totally lost motivation after SEEING the finish and knowing it wasn't over.  Weaving in and out of the building. Mile 9! Oh look a little cute green Fiat.  Those things are kind of pricey for their size (is what I was thinking).  OK I change to my fail safe song on the ipod.  Call Me Maybe.  It's on! I turn right.  People all lined up! I see the finish!! I open my stride. I see my family! I go GO GO GO! 10 MILES! 10 MILES! I ran 10 miles in 2 hours! 

How did I accomplish this you ask (with only 2 weeks at the gym).  You need to take care of your body from the inside out.  It's not just the running (look at me. Like I'm a pro) I did a body flush and then didn't eat a lot of junk.  The gym for me was basically getting my breath down.  I hydrated.  Like I said before if you're thirsty ... it's too late you're dehydrated.  I say whatever it is that you think "Nope, can't do THAT" like I did with a marathon.  I say take a smaller version and DO IT! People say I'm amazing and how I do all this stuff ... You know why? What else am I going to do? Your goal needs to be bigger then catching Army Wives every Sunday (love that show though).  "I can't do it, I don't have time, I don't have energy, my kids take up so much time"  You can do anything you want just put your head down and do it. You have time because your kids are either in school or take naps and you have friends or hourly care that can watch them on game day. You should ALWAYS have energy for yourself! Your kids should be motivation to do something outside the family.  What do your kids say about you when you're not around? "My mom works"? My kids tell people I am fabulous because I run, I plant stuff in the garden, I try new hairstyles on them (their words LOL) So let my little 10 mile run be motivation to do something.  SO WHAT you're 30, 35, 65! WHO CARES! At the end I ran next to this little lady that was telling me at the beginning how she didn't know if she could finish.  There she was (about 60) running next to me at mile 9 1/2.  I'm 29 ... her in her 60's. GO GO GO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment