Friday, March 23, 2012

Pecans for breakfast!

This morning I made these breakfast rolls.  I didn't READ all the way through, but you can make everything the night before and just bake in the morning ... What I should've done


What you need - dough - 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (1 package)
1/2 teaspoon plus 1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup warm water
1/2 cup milk at room temperature
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 egg
1 egg yolk
3 cups flour, sifted
3/4 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons butter, softened

4 oz soft cream cheese

Filling - 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup melted butter, divided

Frosting - 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
3-4 tablespoons milk
2 cups powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ok, you have to put the yeast, 1/2 teaspoon of sugar and water in a bowl.  Let it sit for about 10 minutes so the yeast can double.  It will look like cream almost.  Frothy.  Then mix everything but the flour and cream cheese.  Mix it together.  Then start with the flour.  I don't have a mixer so I mixed with a wooden spoon.  I figure you should work out a little bit before these rolls! I just add it slowly, a cup at a time.  I also don't have sifter so I didn't have sifted flour. Mix in the butter after you've mixed all the flour in.  Since I did it by hand I kind of sliced the dough with the spoon to get the butter in there. I scraped the side and made the dough in a mound in the bowl, covered and let sit for 90 minutes.  Dough needs to double it's size.

So once it's doubled put the dough on a super floured surface and knead it a little bit so it's no longer sticky.  Then roll it out.  The recipe says 12x12, but I did more like 16x16.  Then you spread soft cream cheese over it.  As I was eating my roll I think this step can be skipped.  I didn't notice it at all and I even looked for it and nothing.  Maybe it adds to the richness or something. You fold the dough in 3rds and then you fold that in 3rds so it looks like a square.  Roll that out until it's about 16x16.

Spread the filling all over.  The original recipe says to coat butter over the dough with butter and then put the filling in.  I got excited and didn't READ all the way down so I just added the butter to the sugar mixer and didn't coat the dough with butter. THEN you roll the dough into a roll.  

Cut the dough.  Mine were about 1 1/2 inches thick.  The recipe says the best thing to cut dough with is a dough cutter (YA THINK?!) I don't have one so I just used a bread knife.  It worked.

GREASE your pan and put those bad boys in there.  Don't forget you can pop them in the fridge for over night.  Then put them in the over 375 for 25-35 minutes.  Mine maybe took 25 minutes.  They are HUGE! I cute 1 1/2 inch pieces they came out 3 1/2 inches EASY! They are yummmmmmm! One and I'm FULL! They are even good without the frosting.  I made a little one to cook faster for my son and I tasted it ... It was good!!! 




No comments:

Post a Comment